Image by aflcio2008 via Flickr
We already have a majority in the House of Representatives and we have President Obama's promise that he will sign the bill. It all comes down to the Senate.
The rumor is that by the end of the month AL Franken the Minnesota Senator, will be seated. This will place us just shy of the 60 votes we need for a “cloture” vote. The cloture vote will stop the filibuster and allow the bill to proceed for a majority vote.
As moderate Republicans it's liekly that Senator Olympia Snowe or Collins could be that sixtieth vote. In effect, we have the power as Maine voters to decide this fight. Therefore we have a responsibility to our state, and to our country to fight like hell to convince Olympia Snowe, and Susan Collins that passing the Employee Free Choice Act is absolutely essential for a more equitable, sustainable society. So here are some of the ways you can get in the fray.
1) Educate yourself and your friends and family. For more materials and information about the Employee Free Choice Act visit the Working Families Toolkit. You can make custom flyers and fact sheets after briefly registering: www.workingfamiliestoolkit.com
2) Call Senator Snowe and Collins and tell them how you feel about the Employee Free Choice Act
Senator Snowe’s Offices
Augusta 207- 622-8292
Presque Isle 207-764-5124
Senator Collin’s Offices
3) Write a letter to the editor of your local paper. Use this link to find your local paper and submit your letter. http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/ltrefca/search-zip?rk=&preview=f
4) Write a letter to our Senators and tell them why you support the Employee free Choice Act. Find their local office address here.
5) Encourage your friends and family to write and call too!
6) Speak to your Rabbi, Minister, Priest or Pastor about publicly supporting the Employee Free Choice Act by signing a letter in support of it. To obtain the letter contact email@example.com .
7) If you own a business, or know of a business owner that supports the Employee Free Choice Act encourage them to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to sign on to the small business support letter.
8) Sign up for Maine AFL-CIO Get Active e-mails. You can do so by contacting email@example.com with your name, union or organization affiliation and e-mail address. You will receive a weekly update on the campaign and occasional information about other important labor events.
For more EFCA news check the source of this cross post.http://employeefreechoice.typepad.com/me/